U23 Notes & Quotes: 5.15.2012 - US Open Cup vs. Jacksonville United
Info you need to know for tomorrow's Open Cup match vs. Jacksonville United FCNotes:
- The Orlando City U23s begin their run in the U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, facing the National Premier Soccer League’s (NPSL) Jacksonville United FC.
- The NPSL began in 2003 and now consists of 48 teams.
- Founded in the fall of 2010, aside from a team in the NPSL, Jacksonville United also fields a youth program that starts at the U13 bracket for both boys and girls.
- Jacksonville United has never participated in the U.S. Open Cup, but secured a spot in this year’s tournament by winning the NPSL Championship in 2011 by defeating Hollywood United 3-2.
- JUFC is currently 2-0 in league play so far in 2012. United most recently defeated Myrtle Beach 7-1 in their home opener on May 12.
- JUFC is led by Head Coach Pat Cannon. As a player, Cannon was a member of the Central Florida Kraze (now the Orlando City U23s) from 2000-02.
- If the U23s win on Tuesday, the club will face the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the North American Soccer League (NASL) at the Seminole Soccer Complex on Tuesday, May 22, at 7 p.m. in Open Cup competition.
- No current Orlando City team (Pro or U23s) has ever faced the Tampa Bay Rowdies in professional competition. The last Orlando/Tampa soccer match was played in the early 90s between the original Rowdies and the original Orlando Lions.
“The thing we really improved on was our speed on play. It was something we worked on during training and it showed.” - Orlando City U23s Head Coach Joe Avallone on his team’s improvement from the first to the second match of the PDL regular season.
“Jacksonville (United) is a solid team that will be ready to play. We need to be at our best on Tuesday. They’re one of those teams that could take you by surprise if you don’t thoroughly prepare for them.” – Avallone on facing Jacksonville United in U.S. Open Cup play on Tuesday
“What an important game that’ll be if we can get past Jacksonville. As exciting as that may be, we are focusing 100 percent of our attention on Tuesday.” - Avallone on the potential matchup against the Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) in the second round of the U. S. Open Cup.
|Orlando City SC||28||62|
|Sacramento Republic FC||28||55|
|LA Galaxy II||28||51|